Goals of Act 46
Act 46 is designed to encourage and support local decisions and actions that:
- Provide substantial equity in the quality and variety of educational opportunities statewide;
- Lead students to achieve or exceed the State’s Education Quality Standards, adopted as rules by the State Board of Education at the direction of the General Assembly;
- Maximize operational efficiencies through increased flexibility to manage, share, and transfer resources, with a goal of increasing the district-level ratio of students to full-time equivalent staff;
- Promote transparency and accountability; and
- Are delivered at a cost that parents, voters, and taxpayers value.
Although the State intends that all school boards will continually work toward achieving the stated goals, Act 46 acknowledges that the means to achieve the goals will vary depending on the specific circumstances of districts or regions.